The anniversary expedition will attempt Mount Everest on the route of the 1953 first climb from Nepal. From the base camp at an altitude of 5340 m, first the wild Khumbu icefall must be overcome in order to reach the hidden valley "Western Cwm". After climbing the Lhotse face, the south col of Mount Everest at 7900 m will be reached. From there the expedition will more or less follow the south ridge to the summit, 8850 m.
The expedition aims towards reaching the summit on
May 29, 2003 at 11:30 a.m.
exactly 50 years after the first summiters, Sir Edmund Hillary and Sherpa Tensing Norgay.
Tentative Expedition Schedule
Organisation changes and the weather can cause deviations. This schedule is thought only as a rough guideline.
- 31.03.2003 - First part of the team (Oliver Häusler, Eckhard Schmitt, Dr. Eike Mrosek, and Frank Everts) will leave from
Frankfurt at 22:30
After arrival in Kathmandu customs formalities, climbing permit, material check etc.
- 04.04.2003 - The second part of the team (Dr. Peter Becker, Christian Rossel, Thomas Zwahlen, Roland Brand, Alex Eberhöfer ) will leave Munich at 22:30, as well as
Prof Dr. Friedrich Grimminger, Dr.Frank Reichenberger, Dr. Markus Kohstall, Dr. Ardeschir Ghofrani, and Timon Seeger from Giessen University.
- 3rd day (April 7): Flight to Lukla (2800m). Loading yaks, employing porters, etc.
- 4th day: Trekking to Phakting 2600 m
- 5th day: Trekking to Namche Bazar 3440m
- 6th day: Rest day/acclimatization day/medical studies
- 7th day: Rest day/acclimatization day/medical studies
- 8th day: Trekking to Tengpoche 3850m
- 9th day: Trekking via Pangboche to Pheriche 4243m
- 10th day: Trekking to Lobuche 4910m
- 11th day: Trekking via Gorak Shep to Everest Base Camp 5364m
- 12th day: medical studies
- 13th day: medical studies
- 14th day to 56th day: Seven weeks time to prepare and realize the climb of Mount Everest
- 57th day to 60th day: Trek back to Lukla and flight to Kathmandu
- Estimated arrival in Munich on 04 June 2003 at 6:30.
The map may give you a first idea about the area.
Updated 25 November 2002 by firstname.lastname@example.org